Skip to main content

Movie Review: Lilith

Lilith has an interesting premise. Warren Beatty plays a war vet with mommy issues who goes to work in an insane asylum for the rich, where he falls obsessively in love with one of the patients, Lilith (Jean Seberg). Another patient is also in love with her, Stephen (Peter Fonda). But as interesting and as good a cast as it has, it failed for me.

I had to keep reminding myself that this came out on 1964, so the way things were done and perceived were likely different. I still found it implausible that a male attendant would be allowed to spend as much alone time with a female patient as Vincent does with Lilith. Not only is he in her bedroom with her a lot, he is also allowed to take her out on little trips, just the two of them. In fact, he seems to spend the majority of his time with her. I found this ridiculous considering how obvious it was, not to mention the fact that the woman who hired him, and who may or may not run the place (I wasn't clear on that), was around so much. Were there really no red flags going up? Did she honestly see nothing wrong with Vince, or any male for that matter, being alone with a female patient? That's just asking for trouble. It's also good to note that this isn't an abusive environment. They take care of their ill at this place.

At first, I liked Vince. He was actually interested in helping people and he wanted to get to know them. But apparently the mentally ill Lilith was just too "irresistible" for him. I don't quite understand that. I mean, I get that she's pretty, her hair is blonde and always done up, and she wears nice flouncy dresses, but you'd think the whole insane, homicidal aspect would be a turnoff. Maybe that's just me, though.

As for Lilith, she doesn't care a whole lot about anyone but herself, which is soon obvious. She is a bit of a seductress and aims to "leave the mark of her desire" on just about everyone. She has an inflated ego, and she loves to be loved and noticed. She also plays the flute very well. And she's also a bit of a pedophile, but you know, who wouldn't love her? Despite all of this, she is mentally ill. So when Vince takes her out and lets the seductress meet his affections halfway, it's patient abuse. It'd be easy to say that Lilith is as much to blame as he is, but really, he is the one in authority, the responsible one, the one who knows better. It's on him. I didn't think he should have had that job in the first place since he had issues of his own that needed to be dealt with.

So I kept asking myself why none of the other workers, ones who were more experienced and responsible than Vince, didn't put a stop to this. I think it was because they saw this as progress. Lilith hadn't gone out in months and probably didn't socialize much, and he changed that. I suppose they were blind to the obvious. But give me a break! Someone get a neon red sign and  put it on my forehead, please.

In the end, it has a promising plot and cast, but a bad execution. I can't even say it was all that entertaining. Rather disappointing.

My grade: D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover