Skip to main content

Movie Review: Thor

I finally saw Thor. Finally! Not only did I see it, but I saw it in 3D, which I've never done before. Unfortunately, because it's been out for a few weeks now, I had to watch it in 3D, because that's all they were showing. I didn't like wearing the glasses for two hours, and I was on the verge of a headache once or twice, but it was pretty cool. It did enhance it to a point, but I'm still not a I-must-see-every-film-in-3D person.

Right, so Thor. First of all, I love that Kenneth Branagh directed it. Second, I liked Chris Hemsworth, whom I've never seen before. He made for a strong lead actor. I still kept thinking about how cute Thor's questionable brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) was, though. I mean, come on, isn't he? And Anthony Hopkins...I could watch him in almost anything. Oh, and it was nice to see Kat Dennings in something else, even if she does tend to play herself. It's been awhile since I've seen her, and that was in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, which I didn't like. I'll talk bout Natalie Portman in a minute.

Thor is filled with great visuals and more-or-less good characters. The storyline was okay, but I liked the movie best when it wasn't on earth with us earthlings. Although when it came to the action sequences, whether on earth or not, they were all great. But nothing beat the fights between Thor and his people and those blue dudes, the Frost People (I'm trying hard not to say The Blue Man Group).

The only aspect of Thor that I didn't like was the romance. I just wasn't feeling it. And I didn't care for Natalie Portman for some reason. I don't hate her as an actress, but in this I thought we could have done without her. But that was basically my only major beef about Thor. Also, as a sidenote, it wasn't as funny or goofy as I thought it was going to be. I think I got that impression from the trailer, but it was definitely more fight than funny. That's not a bad thing, but I like a good laugh...

It's not a spectacular superhero movie, but it is pretty damn good and worth seeing. It left the ending open for a sequel, which my dad happily pointed out. So, part 2?

My Grade: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover