Skip to main content

TV Review: The Norman Conquests

Every once in awhile, I will be watching a movie or a television show when out of nowhere I am wowed. It is very rare and very sudden. What am I wowed by? A performance! In The Norman Conquests (based on the plays by Alan Ayckbourn), there is a scene in the first episode (out of three) in which Norman is at the breakfast table, quite unwanted, and proceeds to whine and banter, effectively annoying his brother and sisters-in law until they abandon the room. It may not sound like a great accomplishment in acting, but for the first time in a long time I thought, "Now that is acting." Really, it is so uncommon for me to be truly impressed by a performance that I have to relish this one. That's not to say that if you watch it you will have the same reaction, but I had to mention it.

*Sigh*

The Norman Conquests is about six people who stay in the same house over the course of one weekend. First there is Annie, who lives there with her useless, bed-ridden mother. Her brother Reg and his wife Sarah show up. Then her brother-in-law Norman...and his wife, Ruth...and her daft next door neighbor Tom.

The drama/comedy begins when Sarah, the interfering sister-in-law, tries to help Annie with her love life. She wants to set her up with Tom, and thinks they are in love with each other. But Annie has a confession to make. She's seeing Norman! Yes, he is her sister's husband, but that didn't stop them from planning to go away together that weekend or from them doing something naughty on the brown rug over Christmas.

So now Annie and Norman's plans of going away discreetly have been ruined. Worse, everyone knows about it. Well, it's not always clear whether Tom knows. He is in love with Annie, but he's so dumb that almost everything goes right over his head. Reg doesn't seem all the bothered that his sister is having an affair with his other sister's husband. Actually, he gets a laugh out of it. And even Ruth doesn't seem all that perturbed that her husband has been unfaithful. The only one who is honestly upset is Sarah. She is so sensitive and nervous and bossy that she just about goes to pieces.

There's a great cast here. Tom Conti (Norman), Richard Briers (Reg), Penelope Keith (Sarah), Penelope Wilton (Annie), Fiona Walker (Ruth), and David Troughton (Tom). I grew up with Briers, Keith, and Wilton especially, so I loved seeing them in this.

It is at times slow and dull, but with bursts of entertainment. Once you get past the boring parts it's a good watch. As I said, there are three episodes, and it's designed so that you can watch them in any order you want. No really, that's what is says on the back. But I don't agree with that. If I had watched episode 2 first, I would have been lost and confused, and the same goes for episode 3. So I suggest watching it in the order it comes in.

My grade: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover