Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Chronicles of Narnia -The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Hello God, it's me, Lucy
I don't know about you, but I grew up watching a little series of movies called "The Chronicles of Narnia". Not this big, expensive franchise, but the other one. Plus, the animated version of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Warddrobe". After all these years, I still prefer those versions with their cheap special effects and buck-toothed heroine. They possess something that this one lacks" charm.

Having said that, these aren't bad adaptations. Okay, this one kind of sucks, but as a whole they aren't bad, and the first two were pretty good.

I wasn't impressed with "Dawn Treader". First of all, it's fairly boring. I also felt that there is a lack of focus on the plot, and it could be confusing at times. I admit, though, that despite having seen the original several times, I forgot parts of the story. My mom reminded me of a few things, thankfully, otherwise I would have been confused. To be fair, this isn't the easiest story to tell, and this is one of my least favorite in the series. My favorites are "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe", as well as "The Silver Chair".

There's a plot here, even though it's easy to forget what with all the other things that happen. Caspian and his crew are traveling the ocean in search of seven men who went missing. Along the way, they encounter various problems and people/creatures.

The acting isn't that good all around, especially when it comes to Georgie Henley. I can't remember if she's always been bad, or if it's just this time around. She also annoyed the heck out of me with her near constant smiling. It's as if she didn't know how to convey any emotions, and she had almost zero depth. It's too bad, because I liked her as a kid. My mom doesn't quite see the badness, so maybe it's just me. She says that's how she's supposed to be played; sweet and...I don't know, smiley? Maybe she really was good in this part, but...nah. I can't see it.

On the plus side, I liked the kid who played Eustice, even though he came off as a bit affected at times. He displayed the most interesting personality out of everyone. He also looked like an old man. Seriously. His face, the way he talked, dressed, acted.

And it was nice to see a glimpse of Peter and Susan, albeit not much. I'm glad they were included to some degree.

Despite the fact that I didn't like this all that much, I do hope they continue and make "The Silver Chair". I'd love to see how they go about it. It'd be great if they actually finished the whole series, since certain books have never been adapted, even in the older versions.

All in all, it's not awful or painful, but isn't very good, either.

P.S. I'd heard that this one was more obvious in the religious aspect of the series, and it's true, although I didn't feel as if they were throwing religion in my face throughtout. It was at the end when they decided to punch everyone in the face with religion. In case you didn't know, Aslan is Jesus. I've known this since I was a kid. It still annoys me.

My grade: C+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover