Skip to main content

My Week With Marilyn and Snow White

By now, you've probably seen the trailer for "My Week With Marilyn". Or, uh, maybe you haven't. I've heard about it, of course, and saw the Vogue cover with Michelle Williams done up like Marilyn. Am I the only one who wasn't impressed? Nothing against Michelle, but she in no way reminds me of Marilyn. I made the mistake of voicing my opinion on another site, and one outraged person replied, "Are you blind!" and went on to point out that they have similar features, blah, blah, blah. Well, yeah, their noses and mouths are alike, I won't deny it, but it's not simply about having a Marilyn Monroe pout. You need to not only look at her, which, I'm sorry, but Michelle doesn't, IMO, but you need to have the Monroe feel. Know what I mean? And when I look at Michelle Williams, all I see is Michelle Williams posing as Marilyn Monroe.

But, I was willing to give her a chance. Maybe her performance would change my mind (not that I'm likely to see the movie any time soon). Maybe she would be so convincing that she would be Marilyn.

Then I saw the trailer. Oh no. From what I can tell, Michelle does not pull it off, look-wise, acting-wise, vibe-wise, sex-appeal wise. Nothing about her seems like Marilyn. And I don't think Michelle is a bad actress, she's just miscast. Who knows, maybe she's actually quite good in the part and the trailer failed to showcase it, but...no, I don't think so. Of course I'm saying this, and watch all of the critics give her praise for her performance *rolls eyes*. It wouldn't surprise me. You see, there's this trick you can pull off as an actor/actress in order to  make everyone believe you had an excellent or at least convincing performance. All you have to do is transform your looks: Cut your hair, change your clothes, strike a pose. If you play someone iconic, you will no doubt get some love.

But, like I said, she might just pull it off in the end. Which would be great, but unexpected.

The trailer isn't bad, but the casting choices...eh. That Eddie Redmayne or whatever his name is is rather creepy looking, don't you think? And Kenneth Branagh as Sir Laurence Olivier...what? Love Kenneth, but come one. And Emma Watson does her first post-Potter gig (at least I think this is her first post Harry movie...). I pretty much like her as Hermione, but I'm not convinced of her acting chops. We'll see.


Now, onto our three Snow Whites. I don't know what the point of three adaptations is, although it will be interesting to see how they fare against each other. I don't know much about the Disney one. Is that the one with the seven monks? Hmm. That one might actually be the most interesting. I'm not really a Snow White fan to begin with. It's okay, but fairy tales in general aren't my big passion. I do own the stories, though. Because I'm a pervert.

Anyway, some more photos from the Lily Collins version were released a day or two ago. I don't know if the general consensus is positive (based on some comments I read, people hate the costumes), but I actually liked them. They remind me of Tim Burton's movies, with the extravagant outfits and (in some instances) exaggerated hair, etc. I'm not sold on the casting, though. Julia Roberts, well, I don't hate her as an actress. I think she's overrated and tends to play herself, but I am curious to see how she does as the evil queen. Lily Collins...I have no idea. I haven't seen her in anything yet. I don't think she is the fairest of them all, not in the least, but she is pretty and unique looking, and hopefully she possesses the right combo of innocence and I-will-take-you-down attitude. I think both this version and "Snow White and the Huntsmen" could have been better cast all around, but time will tell. I doubt I'll go to see either, to be honest. But then I've said that about other movies and then gone to see it, so maybe, come March and June, I'll have something to say about these dueling Snow Whites.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Becoming a Netflix Addict

It took me long enough, but I recently decided to take advantage of my brother's Netflix subscription by streaming it online. That just shows you how far and wide my procrastination goes. Because it's just too difficult to sign in, I mean Jesus. Friends Naturally, I am now watching everything, and they recently put all ten seasons of Friends on there. Goodbye productivity! I'm watching that whole series from start to finish, and no one can stop me! The fact that I watched every episode when it was on (oh, childhood) doesn't matter. Of course I'm also taking this opportunity to watch other shows that I never got to (or never heard of). The Tudors is a good example. It was on my radar for awhile when it was on, but then it dropped off. Now I've zipped through the first season and into the second. My only complaint so far is that the divorce storyline is dragging on. Just do it already! I'm excited about the cast, though. So many familiar faces (Jeremy N