Skip to main content

Inspector Lewis, Season 5: Fearful Symmetry


A babysitter is murdered while watching a couple's young son. Once again there's a list of potential suspects. I won't go through the whole list, but can I just complain about a couple of the characters for a minute? Alright, the photographer woman who lives in the studio apartment all alone with no one else in the building.

(1) Must she be a typical artist? I don't just mean the way she looks, I mean her attitude/personality.

(2) How can she be so naive? She tells her assistant that someone has been coming in and out of her apartment when she's gone. She can tell because the chess pieces on the board have been moving. So what does she do? She declines her assistant's offer to stay over, you know, just in case a murderer or rapist is out to get her, which wouldn't be too surprising since one of her subjects was just murdered. She also acts as if it's not a big deal and in no way related to the murder. So...someone is breaking into your apartment, and you don't care? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Now, Gideon's father. Gideon himself is forgettable and I really don't care about that character, but his father...well I can't remember his name, but I don't need to. I know I have seen this actor before, can't recall where, but his voice is not something I will easily forget. But oh, how I wish I could. Why couldn't they cast an actor with a stronger voice? A voice that isn't so incredibly irking? I actually know a guy who lives around here with an eerily similar voice, and he somehow manages to get himself roles in plays. There he is, standing on stage, and every time he talks I want to leave the theater. Same thing with this actor in Lewis. Every time he's in a scene, I want that scene to end. Now.

Okay, rant over. Ugh. This episode was a rather weak one. One of the weakest lately. It wasn't terrible, but not as good as it should have been. I'm just glad there was no romance in this one. This show isn't bad, but it is predictable, so whenever something I think will happen doesn't, that's usually a good thing.

My grade: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover