Movie Review: Side Effects


Interesting movie about a woman (Rooney Mara) who commits an act of violence after taking a new drug for her depression. Everyone blames it on the drug, since she never had a history of violence before popping dem pills. Jude Law plays her psychiatrist, who sees his career start to go down the toilet, because he was the one who prescribed those pills from hell.

You know, I was quite keen to see this, and I'd heard there was a "huge twist", so of course I was prepared to be blown away. And...yeah, didn't happen. It's a very low-impact "twist", and I'm wary of even calling it a twist, since I wasn't surprised.

I really liked Jude Law in this. He's one of those actors whom I don't care for as a person, but I love watching them act. I'm not crazy about Mara, though. I'm never really sure if she's a good actress or not, and I tend to find her unappealing and unlikable in whatever I see her in (which hasn't been much, admittedly). So I'm not sure what the heck I'm witnessing when I watch her on screen. A monotone, one-note actress, or a good actress? I must investigate this one.

Bottom line; it was a decent film, although I can't see myself wanting to watch it again.

My grade: B

Comments