Bad Grandpa and Other Reviews

Aw yeah, it's time for my super duper ahort movie review catch-up! I'm pretty sure I've forgotten half the movies I've watched, but oh well. I still managed to see (and remember) a few that I saw in theatres and on Netflix recently.



Bad Grandpa

I can't claim to be a big 'Jackass' fan since I had only seen the first movie prior to this (which I liked), but I enjoyed Bad Grandpa. Obviously I like crude humor (to an extent), and I like Johnny Knoxville. I have to say, though, it's a little disturbing knowing there's a hot guy underneath all that old man make-up. Unfortunately, I was keenly aware of it while watching this film. Which is not weird at all. Also, great casting! The kid was surprisingly good in his role, and very daring. And if you didn't know, this is in movie format rather than random pranks/skits like the other films. It's a movie, but only the kid and Knoxville know it. People's reactions are great. I love the ending, as well. Almost makes me tear up just thinking about it. Some people are actually...not bad. Faith in humanity temporarily restored.

My grade: B


Moonrise Kingdom

I love this movie. It's so charming and whimsical, and I don't hate the kids in it. Trust me, that is an accomplishment. Kids are so friggin' annoying in movies, but they were perfect in this. Watch it. Oh yeah, and the adults are cool, too. Really good casting all around. Now watch it.

My grade: A

Beasts of the Southern Wild

I think I'm missing something, honestly. Wasn't this movie supposed to be great? Wasn't I supposed to be impressed by the little girl and the story?  Instead it got on my nerves and bored me. My mom says the moral of the story must be about the environment and how we treat it, but we still couldn't quite see what they were trying to say, or what anything really meant. It was hard to stay interested in this movie, even though I honestly wanted to. The setting was wonderful, but everything else was a let down, most of all the anti-climactic ending.

My grade: C+

Monsters University

I'm not sure this lives up to the first one, but it's good. Yes, that's pretty much all I have to say about it.

My grade: B

Pacific Rim

Wow, I hated this movie. How sucky was this movie? Very sucky indeed. I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be good, but I was quickly corrected. Uninteresting characters/casting, romance, and even the story didn't seem interesting, although I think it could have been. It was brought down by everything else that was wrong with it. On the plus side, there is at least one hot guy in this.

My grade: C

District 9

Now this I like. It's set in a grim, depressing world. I can totally see us being douchey to aliens if they ever came to earth. Great premise, as well. I think I would have a meltdown if I started transforming into an alien. Big time.

My grade: B+


21 Jump Street

I was surprised that I liked this, but it was actually quite funny, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Jonah Hill still looks like a serial killer, though.

My grade: B+

Magic Mike

...this, on the other hand, was a major disappointment. The characters were mostly sleazy and hard to like. The dancing was actually not bad, but it was also funny. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. What do women find appealing about this kind of thing? I mean honestly, what? It's so silly, I couldn't not laugh at it.

My grade: C


Ender's Game

I haven't read any of these books, but I hear they're very good, and better than this movie. However, I have to say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but the story was good enough to keep me interested and, most importantly, the kid playing the main character was likable and able to carry the movie. Now that is impressive.

My grade: B


Thor: The Dark World

I guess the main problem with Thor is that Loki has always been the best thing about it. Thor himself is bland, and Jane is even blander. That makes for a crappy, boring romance that I wish they would scrap already. I hated it in the first one, and I hate it in this one. They have no chemistry, and they're not interesting. Get rid of Natalie Portman, inject more Loki into this movie. In fact, just call it Loki instead of Thor.

My grade: B


Comments