Skip to main content

Sherlock Season 3: The Sign of Three and His Last Vow (season finale)


The Sign of Three is probably my favorite episode from season 3. John and Mary are getting married, and Sherlock is the best man, which means it's going to be crazy. It actually ends up being more than crazy, and everything is shown/told in a rather complex way. Sherlock likes to go back and forth in time when telling a story. It's both impressive and showy. Also, I want to say more about the plot, but when it comes to this show, I sometimes feel that saying much about it would be spoiling it. Better to simply watch!

My grade: A


His Last Vow actually got on my nerves at first. Like I said above, Sherlock likes to show off. A lot. It toys with the audience maybe a little too much, catapulting us back and forth (so much!) and hitting us with twists that don't entirely seem to fit, just to shock us. And my god, the way they conduct certain scenes is so fancy and convoluted! Just get on with it! It feels almost overly cocky. Everyone involved in this show knows it's a hit, they know it's smart, quality viewing and that people will love it. I can see why the writers might be a bit smug. But it shouldn't come across in the storytelling. Then again, perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this. I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me on this.

But enough of that! Despite my complaints and initially being a bit annoyed, this was a good finale. Sherlock comes up against a new foe (who we glimpsed in the season 3 opener), and he's supposed to be even worse than Moriarty. Maybe he is, but he isn't quite as interesting or fun, and the conclusion isn't all that satisfying. There are a couple of twists at the end. Everything is meant to shock us, remember? I'm never entirely sure if I like what they come up with it, but so far I enjoy it...mostly.

Now I must wait until season 4 presents itself. Also, watching this reminds me of how much I miss England. I really need to move there.

My grade: B+


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover