The World's End (and Letchworth Garden City)


Fact: this was on my to-watch list before it even finished filming. Unsurprisingly, I only got around to watching it recently. The Grand Procrastinator strikes again! But I do have one legitimate reason for putting it off for so long: it's personal.

World's End was partially filmed in Letchworth Garden City. When I first visited there, they had already started filming. And when I ended up living there for 3 months, they were still filming, but production was almost over. I'd wanted to be able to see it in Broadway Cinema, the movie theater in Letchworth, but I was long gone by that time, and I was dreadfully missing it. In the months after I left, I couldn't bring myself to watch it in case it made me emotional. Emotions are stupid, I know. Go away!

After awhile, I magically forgot that this movie existed, and by the time I remembered it, I was no longer in danger of feeling anything that could be described as 'emotional.' As someone who enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (my personal favorite), it was about time I finally finished this trilogy!

Unfortunately, The World's End sucked. This was the worst of the series, hands down. The only real entertainment I got out of it was spotting the places I recognized (even one short scene that I witnessed). Aside from that it wasn't very funny, and Simon Pegg's character was way too annoying. A plus, however, was that they didn't make Nick Frost the idiot this time. That makes a nice change! The whole robot twist was actually a pleasant surprise for me. I guess I'd avoided this movie quite thoroughly, right? I'm pretty sure everyone knew the plot; I just knew it was about drinking at a bunch of different pubs.

As for Letchworth, I went back recently, just to visit, and it's still as lovely as ever. I have a lot of fond memories of my time there. It's hard to believe it's only been two years (a little less). In a way, it feels like a lot more years have passed. It's just too bad this film was a let down.

My grade: C

Comments