Skip to main content

Updates and Movies of Disappointment

I know, it's been awhile. I'd like to say I've been off on a whirlwind tour of Europe, but that's not true (yet). There have been too many moments when I think, "Oh, this movie was awful, I need to review that", and then I let it go and can't fathom coming back to it. And then months go by, with piles of movies gathering and nothing to show for it. But while I'm very gifted in the art of procrastination, I'm also equally good at coming back to things I've left alone too long. That being said, it's time to give this baby some fuel!

What really motivated me in finally updating tonight is that I'm going on a short, albeit exciting trip to Niagara Falls soon, and there's something satisfying and comforting in knowing that I've checked a few things off of my to-do list beforehand. Not that my life won't continue to be filled with various messes to clean up and tasks to complete, but maybe getting a few minor things out of the way is a decent start.

Now, onto the movies! I'm giving you two of my recent watches, both of which were massive disappointments. The first one being...




Attack on Titan (the movie)

Just to be clear, this is part one. When I realized it was split up into more than one movie, I was happy...and then I actually watched it. Please, no more! I'm not a big anime fan, and I never will be, but Attack on Titan was one that I genuinely enjoyed. That and Death Note are right up my alley. The big difference between their live-action adaptations is...Death Note rocked, and Attack on Titan was terrible, the first one, at least, but it's a good indication of what the next one will be like.

None of the characters were likable, nor were the events quite as dramatic as they should have been. Although the whole being-eaten-by-a-Titan is still terrifying and gory. They really don't try to make it any nicer, which I'm happy about.

Bottom line, check it out if you must, but expect nothing, nothing I tell you! Just re-watch the series while eating spaghetti and meatballs, and see where that takes you.

My grade: D

Area 51
You know how much I love a good shaky cam movie. It's something I'm rarely able to resist, but with that kind of risk-taking comes a lot of pain. And boredom. So much boredom. You probably have no idea where I'm going with this, but...this movie is boring. Nothing duller than aliens and infiltrating a secret government facility, am I right? This should have at least raised a few hairs on the back of my neck. Instead, it reminded me of how stupid they make everyone in scary movies, and that I should be watching something quality like Jersey Shore instead.


Plot: Three friends go to a party, one of them goes into the woods and he presumably encounters an alien (this is never made clear). Naturally, one of them has a camera rolling throughout the night, because...of reasons that I have yet to determine. Anyway, alien-magnet Reed immediately becomes obsessed with Area 51, and three months later he and his friends go on a road trip down there in order to break in and find out about all dem aliens. Nothing wrong with that. Also, nothing stupid about it at all. Fun fact, though, the hot guy is the most intelligent one in here. I know, right?! I'm not saying he's that smart, but he's got enough common sense to question the whole plan...but not enough to simply stay home and let them make their own mistakes. I guess we can't win them all.

At the end of everything, this movie evoked no emotion from me, unless you want to count my indifference.

My grade: D




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover