The Martian


I'll preface this by saying that I almost skipped out on this in the fear that it would be like Interstellar, which wasn't a bad movie, but managed to disappoint and confuse and leave me feeling irritated. Also, Mackenzie Foy and Jessica Chastain look nothing alike, fools! Speaking of, Chastain and Matt Damon were both in Interstellar, and now they're both in this, so naturally I wondered if there was some connection between the movies (thankfully there isn't). That was before I actually looked into it, however. After reading up on it and seeing the great reception The Martian received, I suddenly wanted to see it very badly. I do love Matt Damon, have I ever told you that?

This ended up being my choice for family movie night, and we actually convinced my brother to come along (a rare occurrence), and even a family friend wanted to go. Amazing! No one left disappointed. The Martian is an excellent film, and that's not something I often say about a movie.

If you don't know the story, it goes like this: Mark Watney (Damon) and his crew are on Mars (my home planet) when a storm hits, presumably killing Watney in the process while the rest of the crew manages to escape. But of course he didn't die, and now he's marooned on Mars and unable to communicate with anyone from Nasa. He's a survivor, though, and more importantly, he's a botanist. I'm telling you, this is the only time I've ever taken botany seriously. I need to learn how to farm on Mars, because you just never know.

The Martian is both touching and funny. In fact, I'm surprised I didn't cry, because it doesn't take much to tickle my hormones. Bottom line, this is a must-see!

My grade: A+

Comments