Skip to main content

Plemya (The Tribe)

*Contains spoilers*

This is probably one of the more unique movies I've watched recently. "Unique" doesn't always translate into "good," however.

Plemya is a Ukrainian film set in a school for the deaf. It's entirely in sign language, meaning no one ever speaks, or at least we're not allowed to hear them. There are also no subtitles, so if you don't know sign language (I sort of tried teaching myself when I was a kid, but...yeah), then it's a matter of "actions speak louder than words." I'm fine with that, personally. It's an interesting concept, and I can see why they chose to have zero spoken words or subtitles. It truly adds to the storytelling.

Plemya starts off with a teenage boy, Sergei, joining the school, which we quickly surmise is basically just a school for thugs and hookers. At first I thought, Oh dear, this is a story about a nice boy being corrupted by a bunch of violent criminals. Well, as it turns out, he fits right in! I was glossing over a synopsis for this, and it portrayed him as struggling to fit in, which is not how I interpreted it. That was what I expected, but at a certain point, not too far into the film, I realized he was just going with it. And, further along, I realized that he is, in fact, the worst of anyone in the school, and I do mean that. There are gangs who beat people up for their groceries, pimp out their fellow classmates to truckers (girl, you better get that shit checked out. Do you know how dirty truckers are?), steal, and god knows what else. But trust me, Sergei is the worst, you just don't know it soon enough.

It's not an easy film to watch, but it's captivating. That's the appeal of unique movies; even if they make you want to look away, you can't quite give up the experience. It's worth watching until the very end, at which point you'll likely do what I did and develop buggy eyes whilst saying WTF. I love those moments.

I feel it's only fair to warn you about some of the things you'll see in this film if you choose to watch it. There isn't much that gets to me except animal violence, but that's pretty much the only thing you're safe from in Plemya. So here it goes:

  • Graphic violence
  • Rape
  • A thigh-clenching abortion scene
  • Murder
  • Graphic nudity (but it was meh)
  • Graphic sex
  • Super graphic oral sex (I bet that was fun to film)
  • Nasty trucker sex
  • More nasty trucker sex
  • Truckers

All in all, it was worth a watch, but I wouldn't give it another go.

My Grade: C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover