Sherlock Season 4: The Six Thatchers

Sherlock's face=my face when looking at babies

*Spoilers*

The Six Thatchers

It's been a long time since I made the effort to watch a show as it aired, rather than binge-watch it after it's over, but Sherlock is a special exception. Despite being a fan of pretty much everything Sherlock Holmes, however, I've always had a small gripe with this particular series, the main reason being that it's cocky. I've said this in previous Sherlock reviews, but I'm saying it again because it's been so long. So long. Too long. Regardless, it hasn't changed, but I always manage to forgive them. But I never forget, just like I'm never going to forget this episode.

The Six Thatchers refers to six statues of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, which took me longer than it should have to realize. While there's a nice blend of mysteries to be had, the main focus turns to Mary in this episode. After finding out about her past as an assassin, we finally get a better glimpse of her life before becoming Mrs. Watson. She also gives birth very early on, and things start going to shit not long after. Her past catches up to her, and when she discovers that her life is in danger, she flees. I thought the montage of her traveling across the globe and retrieving her old papers was a bit contrived and unnecessary, but I can't lie and say I didn't enjoy the scenery. And then of course Sherlock manages to track her down and surprise her, because the writers think that was terribly clever and Sherlock is just that much of a genius. Oh shit, am I getting bitchy? I am.

If anyone hasn't watched this episode and wants to avoid any major spoilers, you should immediately shut down whatever intelligent piece of equipment you're using and go to PBS.ORG, where it's temporarily available to watch for free. Or pirate that shit. I won't judge you (but everyone else will).

Long story short: Mary dies at the end. Oh, and John was maybe sort of (?) cheating on her beforehand, but didn't get a chance to tell her. Does this make you feel as wonderful as it does me? Good.

Honestly, the whole John-text-cheating-with-some-random-woman-from-the-bus is more disturbing to me than Mary's death. Isn't Dr. Watson supposed to be better than that? Oh Watson, how could you? I'm still not clear on whether or not he got physical with the other woman, but we'll likely get a clearer picture in the coming episodes. On the bright side, I'm looking forward to some serious Watson drama. He has a lot of emotional baggage to carry around, not to mention that little creature he fathered. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the series couples fatherhood with murder and Sherlock.

It's important to note that Watson was a little more than upset with Mary when she took off. I think he saw it as a betrayal in itself, which I might have to agree with. Despite that, his whole cheating bit started before that. Because Watson is a dick. Look, I know Mary was all devious and lied about her murderous past, but you have to admit that it's kind of cool. I, for one, would be turned on. I want me an assassin.

About Mary's death, though: She jumps in front of Sherlock to save him from a bullet, thus ending her own life. So dramatic. John makes it there before she dies, and he and the audience are all thinking about how this is it, and that he had betrayed her in their final weeks together. The repercussions will (hopefully) be a treat to watch.

Without question, the one aspect I genuinely enjoyed was who they chose as the antagonist. It's difficult for me to be genuinely surprised by anything in Sherlock, partially because I feel they're trying too hard to surprise their audience, but I liked where they went with this. It should be the person you would never suspect.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed with this season opener. Come on, Sher, you can do better!

My Grade: B

Comments