Skip to main content

All Light Will End

Well it's only been just over a year since I did anything in regards to this blog or a review of any sort. Not that I don't think about it with every single movie and TV show I watch, but we're talking about one depressive, often lazy and insecure woman here. Writing less only makes my lack of confidence worse, but there really isn't anything to lose by trying. This isn't some fancy newspaper or magazine, and no one is judging me (at least that's what I tell myself). Hell, it's unlikely anyone is reading this, and I'm genuinely okay with that. I mean you're all dreadfully missing out, but...

With that said, let me dip back into this world with a short review of All Light Will End. It's a fairly new addition to Netflix, I believe, and since I'm a huge fan of horror, this is how I spent part of my Friday night.


Basic  plot: A young writer with a traumatic past and a history of night terrors revisits her hometown. And then some shit happens, because they're staying in a cabin in the woods. Of course.

If you're looking to be scared, you're in the wrong place. If you're looking for half decent actors, then...don't. You won't even find yourself caring about anyone in this, because not enough time is spent getting to know them or fleshing them out. The main character, who I assume we're supposed to care about, is attractive (probably the only thing the casting agent was looking for) and wooden in her delivery. Anyone else in this isn't worth mentioning because of the aforementioned, and if some of them are decent actors, they weren't given enough screen time to showcase it. There honestly isn't much here for anyone. Despite all of this, I honestly believe that if they had handed the concept of this film over to some truly capable horror aficionados, it would have been a quality movie. The reason I say this is due to both the twist and main character's background. The twist, which could have been a huge gut punch, ended up being more of a dusty breeze. The background was flimsy and not fleshed out, nor were the characters. Seriously, where is James Wan when you need him?

I know what you're thinking. Okay, maybe I'm taking the wasted potential of a generic horror film too seriously, but guys, come on. Do you know how rare it is to find a solid horror flick? It's like living in Australia, and your soulmate lives on a deserted island where an airplane occasionally passes by. Maybe one day, but not today. Just keep making those SOS messages out of rocks, dude.

I'll wait until after my grade to post any spoilers, because I really want to spoil this damn film.

My grade: C (this is me being nice)

Spoilers Incoming!

*

*

*

*

*

*

*
Spoilers Incoming!

YOU GUYS. Not only did she not write her bestselling horror novel (better than Stephen King, alrighty then...), but she is totally a killer! Savannah's traumatic childhood revolved around night terrors. They ended up being bad enough to warrant therapy and medication. Half of the twist is that her loving mother was the one who orchestrated these nightmares by dressing up as a frightening figure and hiding in her closet. The other half of the twist is that her mother was also a serial killer, murdering various people around the same time. Why? For inspiration to write her book...which Savannah ends up publishing under her own name after she murders her. To be fair, I understand the last part. Her mother tormented her and more or less ruined her life for the sake of writing a book.

And if you're wondering, this is what I meant by saying this movie is full of wasted potential: the psychological aspect of this movie could have been compelling. The plot twist of the mother being a serial killer could have been shocking and drawn out; it could have made your jaw drop if it had been written and executed in any way other than lazy, which is what this film was: lazy. When you realize the truth of this story, it's neither shocking nor compelling, it simply falls flat due to lack of effort.

Another kicker? Savannah's dad is a cop. We already know that he was more than aware of what his wife was doing to their daughter, so it's safe to assume he also knew that she was the one behind a slew of murders that occurred at the time. By the end of this movie, he realizes that his daughter is behind the murders of her three friends, which he decides to cover up to protect her. There's a lot to unpack here, if you really think about it. I love a good psychological thriller, a story with a lot of layers and raw emotions to support it. This provided none of that, but I can still dream of what could have been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover