Skip to main content

An Orgy of Quickies

As you can tell, I am an extremely motivated and energetic individual. I am driven and I definitely do not want to stay in bed all day and have a pile of money dropped on me like a house in Kansas. 

That being said, my energy has not been going towards writing like it ought to. The amount of media I've indulged in over the last several months has been...a lot, and I even started a list at one point (smart) and then I lost it (shush). At this point, rather than posting one by one, I'm just going to write a very bloggy blog post going over the good stuff. You know, the ones I remember. 

I guess I'll start with the big one: Bridgerton. While it's been awhile since I watched the first season, I find there to be considerably less humping this time around. Good or bad? Undecided. It's certainly less awkward when watching it with family. The eldest Bridgerton brother and the eldest Sharma sister have chemistry for daaaaays. The amount of near-kissing was...comical, though. I guess that's intentional, but at some point it just feels ridiculous. Just kiss, goddamn you! 

There is, of course, no Duke, but Daphne was occasionally present to play sexual tension detective. If that were a career, I would apply. 

Overall, I enjoyed the second season. It was too repetitive at times -too many times- but I forgive it for the chemistry alone. That being said, I still don't care for Penelope as Lady Whistledown. Maybe it makes more sense in the books, but I'm still not feeling it onscreen. And yes, Eloise is right to be pissed. Penny is a shite friend.
My Grade: B


I was in a particular mood for fluff one week. I was working away from home, and was abusing my client's Netflix account like a fiend. As someone who is drawn to horror a good percent of the time, I was suddenly hankering for 90s-mid 2000s romcoms. Do I have cancer? 

I don't know, but I kind of enjoyed watching Reese Witherspoon's ghost fall in love with Mark Ruffalo in Just Like Heaven. To be fair, Mark Ruffalo seems very easy to fall in love with, even if you're dead inside. Like me. 

Like pretty much any romcom, it doesn't boast greatness, but it delivers exactly what you need it to.
My Grade: B 

Sometimes I forget that Jennifer Garner was an action star for a brief few years. I used to love Alias, and my family and I would watch it religiously. And then Jennifer Garner went primarily into movies, especially romcoms, from what I can tell. Catch and Release was never on my radar until recently, and while it falls more into the dramedy category, it mostly fills the need for fluff. It deals with death and secrets, namely finding out that your dead fiancé was a shithead who cheated on you for years. Ah, nothing like both loving and hating a dead guy, but you can't resolve your feelings because he's, as previously stated, quite dead. But you do fall in love with one of his friends, and that definitely helps. 

One thing I appreciate is that the character I first thought would be her love interest actually...isn't. That felt like a reality check, because that's life, really. Also, I only just recently realized that Kevin Smith is in this. How did I not see that?!
My Grade: B


Easily my favorite dramedy of this small bunch, Long Story Short surprised me. Imagine it: your life fast forwards an entire year every few minutes. You can see your life falling apart; you're not entirely sure why, and you can't really change anything. The person you find out you'll become is not the person you currently are. It's one of those films that makes you think about time and lost opportunities, and what would you do if you could go back in time and change things? It can be an uncomfortable thought process, but this is still a sweet movie that's both fairly deep and feel-good. You know, in the end. 
My Grade: A


I'll end this short orgy with a horror movie, because of course. I still have several films and shows to word vomit about, but let's be honest, if you made it down here, you're already being exceptionally patient with me.

The Rental isn't particularly original (what horror movie is these days?), but the concept of renting a house and proceeding to be not only watched, but filmed, is always going to be creepy as hell. Let me just say this, if anyone ever hides a camera in my bathroom, they'll have regrets. Not because of the violent assault I would inflict, but because there is not enough therapy in the world to make it better.

It's not a very memorable movie, and I wasn't that invested in any of the characters, which is probably why I felt a little cheated in the end. Thinking about it over time, it strikes me as another movie with some wasted potential. It's not bad, but it's not going to live in my head, or warrant a re-watch. Honestly, the most interesting thing was seeing Dan Stevens, and being reminded of how much I loved hating on Downton Abbey years ago.
My Grade: C+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover