Skip to main content

Annabelle Comes Home

If you don't know by now, I am a huge fan of The Conjuring universe. It can get a 0 rating and I will still pay to see it, that's how much of a fangirl I am. That being said, I am not blind to the flaws in this series.

So let me get this out of the way: no other film in this universe will ever beat the first movie. That's not a criticism, it's just a reality when the first helping is so damn good. You can never quite recreate the feeling you get the first time you experience something, you know? That being said, The Conjuring 2 is a close second, and proved that they can still spin a great horror flick when the right people are involved.

But back to Annabelle Comes Homes. I was never that impressed with the first Annabelle film, although it had a few decent jump scares. It was, overall, a disappointment, especially considering that it stemmed from such a great catalyst. Annabelle: Creation was a much better follow-up, but I was still skeptical about this new addition to the franchise. When I realized that the Warrens were going to be in this one (finally!!), I was stoked. And then you know what happened? They were only in about ten minutes of the film!! Why, God, why?!

Annabelle, for the most part, takes place over one horrific night. Judy Warren is being babysat by Mary Ellen (wait, did Nan die?!) and her misguided friend Daniela. If you don't want to triple smack Daniela multiple times throughout this movie, you are a better person than I am. I swear to god, if she touches one more fucking thing...

While my disappointment is still felt, I did actually enjoy this. Was it scary? Hell yes. It revolves around the Warrens' room of evil trinkets, so you know shit is about to go down. They manage to inject some humor into this, as well, which is something I always loved about these movies. All of that aside, it never reaches its full potential, and it doesn't come close to the first two Conjuring films. I'd say it's better than the first Annabelle, and maybe just a little less enjoyable than Creation.


Bottom line: if you're a fan like I am, then...well you already saw this. If you don't care for horror in general, then see it anyway, if only to hear the glorious sighs being emitted by the people around you every time Daniela decides that she hasn't caused enough trouble, and unleashes yet another demonic spirit, because I guess that's what floats her boat. It only takes one white girl to bring the world to its knees. If she doesn't cause at least one World War in her lifetime, then she clearly hasn't reached her full potential as a toucher-of-other-peoples-shit.

My Grade: B

If they don't make a Conjuring 3 and put the Warrens in every scene, I will cry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover