Skip to main content

Midsommar

It's been almost two weeks since I saw this movie, and I'm still thinking about it.

Midsommar kicks in the door to its world via a dark, emotional introduction. If you didn't know what to expect from this film, well...you think you know, and you're close, but you're still not quite there. And that's a good thing, because while Midsommar has fun shocking its audience in the most ludicrous of ways, you will enjoy every moment of it, no matter how starkly violent, awkward, or angsty it is. That's part of the Midsommar experience. Unless you're not a degenerate like me, and then you might just need to go to therapy to bleach this film from your brain. Either way, prepare to be gleefully horrified and unusually tickled.
If there's one word you'll want to keep in mind while watching this, it's Empathy, both for the lack of it in some characters, and for the twisted abundance of it in later scenes. The person who needs the most empathy in this is Dani, who, after experiencing a stunning loss, decides to join her unloving, guilt-ridden boyfriend, Christian, and his buddies on a unique trip to Sweden. While some of them feign to care about her and what she's going through, they really just...don't. No one wants her there. How anyone could ignore that and go regardless is beyond me, but I guess Dani needs a vacation from her trauma. And why not add more trauma to your trauma? Poor Dani.

Without giving too much away, you can probably guess that this has to do with a cult, although I believe they call themselves a commune. Commune is just a fancy way of saying cult, and I will never be convinced otherwise. While it looks pretty and endlessly sunny on the outside (the near constant daylight takes getting used to, just FYI), there is an undeniable apprehension pulsating near the surface. You don't know what's wrong, but something is wrong, and ANXIETY.
Bottom line: Midsommar is a beautifully shot, beautifully horrific film that makes one of the best additions to the horror/thriller genre that I've seen in a long time. Prepare yourself for some graphic violence. You think they won't show you everything? Oh no, they show you in glorious, glorious detail, so maybe avoid this if you have a weak stomach.

My Grade: A

P.S. This movie makes me want to have a party for the sole purpose of making people watch it. Nothing else, just Midsommar. Then you can go home. I guess this means I need to start making friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover