Skip to main content

Movie Review: How To Be

I love these quirky little British comedies, don't you? There's nothing like British humor. I remember skimming through the movies at Blockbuster (before it closed) looking for those straight-to-video movies that just might be a hidden gem. Or terrible, you never know. They don't tend to play in the theatres, at least not here, and you almost never hear about them.

That's why I watched How To Be.

Sadly, the trailer ended up being more entertaining than the entire movie. I had such hopes for it, too!

How To Be tries to be funny, but fails at almost every attempt. It also tries to be clever, but doesn't succeed in that, either. A few mildly charming moments don't make a movie good.

I can see the point this movie is trying to make, however. Art is trying to find himself as well as get affection from his emotionally distant, critical parents. They take very little interest in him. The mother, Rebecca Pidgeon, often says, "I wonder about you sometimes, Arthur." And it's said in such a scripted, deliberate way that you know it's meant to cause a reaction at some point. Which it does, I guess, in Art. But it doesn't make for a thought-provoking film, even though the intentions are there.

I wasn't sure if Art was supposed to be mentally challenged or if he just came off that way. I figured he might have Aspergers, but this was never addressed.  "He's here to make me more normal," Art says when he brings in the Canadian self-help author, Dr. Levi Ellington (a silly little man who is meant to make this film funnier). So Art is aware that he is different, and that his parents are aware he's different. I think the whole point of trying to get some help is to get his parents' love and approval.

Although I didn't really enjoy How To Be, I have to say that I prefer Robert Pattinson in roles like this, i.e. lighter, comedic roles. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like him more in this type of role. It's just too bad that the movie wasn't very good.



My Grade: D+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover