Skip to main content

Movie Review: Super 8

Recently, I was in danger of seeing Green Lantern in the theatre. I do not want to see Green Lantern, I'll tell you that. But dad did. Luckily, it was playing too late in the day for his liking, so I manipulated him into seeing Super 8. As I've said before, he knows almost nothing about movies. He'd never heard of Super 8, so I filled him in.

Now, I like me a good monster movie, and this one sounded promising, and for good reason. It really is a good film. It manages to be moving and exciting and funny all at the same time. I thought it was a tad overly sentimental near the end, but I'll let it go. It also boasts a great cast, including Kyle Chandler and that dude from The Truman Show (he's one of those nameless actors whose face is familiar but whose name is a blank). The kids are great, too, which they should be since they're the main actors. I'd heard good things about them, especially Elle Fanning (who I haven't seen in anything else). Some say she is more talented than Dakota Fanning. I don't know what to say to that since I haven't seen her movies, either.

Joel Courtney, who plays the hero child, Joe, does a great job of leading the cast of youngins. I mean, it can't be easy to star in a big JJ Abrams/Steven Spielberg movie, now can it? If you suck, then the movie becomes suckier than it would have been had you not been in it. So it's a good thing he's a good actor, as well as the rest of them. For me, there is always the worry that I'm going to be annoyed by kids in movies (Harriet the Spy, I'm looking at you). As it happens, the actors and their characters work well together.

Super 8 isn't the most original monster movie. It reminded me a little (or a lottle in a particular scene) of The Host (a South Korean monster movie that I love). There's also a slight E.T vibe going on. But I think that most monster movies have similarities to each other. The point is to make it fun and thrilling. That's what it's supposed to be!

That's what makes it a great summer movie.

My grade: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Serial Mom

*may be spoilers* I feel as if I should have seen this before, but it somehow managed to escape my notice. But hey, I found it! Great premise, too: Kathleen Turner as a picture-perfect wife and mother, living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. She's also insane and likes to kill people over the smallest matters. She has a talent for murder, but not, sadly, for covering her tracks. The thought of wearing gloves or wiping fingerprints doesn't even cross her mind. The first half of this is the strongest. After she gets arrested, it loses some of its humor and charm, though it doesn't completely fall flat. Good ending, as well. Ricki Lake plays her daughter, Misty. It's easy to forget about her acting days, especially when you haven't seen her in anything...like me. I liked her in this, and may I say that it was refreshing to have a chubby young actress instead of a typical, thin, dime-a-dozen actress? Overall, not a bad comedy, but not a masterpiece.

Inspector Lewis: Wild Justice

You know, I was excited last night. Why? Because, after weeks of no Inspector Lewis, they were finally airing two new episodes back to back! Yay! PBS has been a bit backed up, what with all of their pledge programming and favorites. There are four new episodes in total, and two, I believe, were supposed to air in September. Only one did. Naturally, I was looking forward to the 9-midnight Lewis-athon. And you know what ticked me off? They didn't play two new episodes back to back. They repeated the first one and then played a new one. So I had to wait until 10:30 to get my fix. Because of course everyone wants to re-watch the first one, right? Wrong! Mamma not happy! But we did get one new episode, so I'll be content with that. They should be playing the other two next week, since a new series is supposed to start soon. This one is called "Wild Justice". Lewis and Hathaway are investigating the death of a female Bishop. She flew across the pond from the USA for

Music: Fionn Regan and The Staves- North Star Lover